The Titusville Police Department is proud to be accredited through the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation, Inc. (CFA). To be accredited, the agency must meet hundreds of specific requirements and standards established by the CFA. The criteria-or standards-by which agencies are measured specify what should be addressed in agency policy and procedures. These standards address all facets of the agency including administration, internal affairs operations, investigations, patrol, personnel, training, traffic, response to resistance, property and evidence, and more. Becoming an accredited agency is a three year process culminating in a rigorous inspection of the department’s policies, procedures, and practices, to ensure we are using “Best Practices” in law enforcement.Accreditation is a coveted award that symbolizes professionalism, excellence, and competence. Titusville employees and citizens can take pride in their department, knowing that it represents the very best in law enforcement and the department is fully committed to maintaining the highest standards of professional law enforcement service. Fully compatible with the community policing philosophy, accreditation encourages greater cooperation and communication between citizens and law enforcement.
Some of the many benefits of being an accredited agency include:
- An increase in the law enforcement department’s ability to prevent and control crime through more effective and efficient delivery of law enforcement services to the community;
- The morale of the department is enhanced by increasing the employees’ confidence in the effectiveness and efficiency of their own department;
- Operations become more streamlined and consistent;
- Accreditation policies address officer safety issues and provide for adequate training and equipment for the officers;
- Community understanding of the law enforcement department and its role in the community, as well as its goals and objectives is enhanced; and,
- Citizen confidence in the policies and practices of the department is increased.
In December 2009, three independent law enforcement professionals from the CFA came to the Titusville Police Department. For three days, the assessors interviewed personnel, scrutinized the physical department and equipment, inspected records and reviewed our policies, procedures, and more. After an intense examination, the team of assessors concluded that the agency had complied with the prescribed standards and unanimously recommended to the Commission that we be awarded accreditation status. On February 3, 2010, the Titusville Police Department received its initial CFA Certificate of Accreditation in a ceremony at a regular Commission meeting. The Certificate of Accreditation is awarded for a three year period. The Titusville Police Department was consecutively re-accredited by the CFA in 2013, 2016, 2019, and 2022