City of Titusville Election Dates (2020)
- General/Primary Election: Tuesday, August 18, 2020
- General/Runoff Election: Tuesday, November 3, 2020
In the event more than two candidates qualify for a particular seat, then a primary election will be held on August 18, 2020. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast (50% plus one) then a runoff election will be held between the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes on November 3, 2020. If a candidate receives a majority of the votes cast during the primary election on August 18, 2020, said candidate will be elected. If only two candidates qualify for a particular seat, then the general election will be held on November 3, 2020.
Elected candidates take office on Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 11 am.
Offices Open (2020):
(This section of the election webpage was updated on November 10, 2020)
- Council Member Seat Two (4-Year Term) - held by Sarah Stoeckel (Dr. Sarah Stoeckel re-elected Seat Two)
- Council Member Seat Three (2-Year Term) - previously held by Dan Diesel (Joe C. Robinson elected Seat Three)
- Mayor Seat Four (4-Year Term) - previously held by Walt Johnson (Daniel E. Diesel ran unopposed/elected Seat Four)
The qualifying fee is $50. In addition, the State of Florida Department of State requires an assessment of one % (1%) of the annual salary of the office being sought. Mayor’s salary is $10,254 a year, which equates to a $102.54 assessment. City Council’s salary is $7,488 a year, which equates to a $74.88 assessment. [Florida Statutes 99.093(1)].
- Qualifying Starts: Noon, Thursday, May 14, 2020
- Qualifying Closes: Noon, Thursday, May 28, 2020
Candidate Requirements (2020)
To qualify for the office of Mayor or Council Member, candidates shall
- Have been residents of the City one year prior to filing
- Have qualifications of electors in the City of Titusville, Florida
- Not hold any other elective public office
- Pay the filing fee of $50 plus the state assessment
The resign-to-run law does not apply to political party offices, persons serving without salary as members of an appointive board or authority, and persons holding federal office. [Florida Statutes 99.012(6) and (7)]
Filing Papers & Fee (2020)
Candidates shall file qualifying papers and qualifying fee with the City Clerk. Qualifying papers consist of:
- Appointment of Campaign Treasurer Forms
- Financial Disclosure
- Loyalty Oath/Oath of Candidate
Candidacy Announcement / Campaign Fund Collection & Disbursal (2020)
A candidate may announce his/her candidacy prior to qualifying. However, no campaign funds may be collected or disbursed until the candidate has named a treasurer and depository and filed the appropriate form with the City Clerk.
State Law Requirements (2020)
State law requires candidates of municipal office to comply with state regulations and accounting instructions for candidates and committees as set forth in Florida Statutes.
Contact the City Clerk’s Office for additional information at 321-567-3686. For a quickened and immediate response to questions during COVID-19, please: