Focus & Responsibilities
The City Clerk’s Office is the information source for the citizens of Titusville and the employees of our municipal organization. The role of the City Clerk’s Office in the City of Titusville has grown dramatically over the past years. Not only are we charged with the more traditional roles of administering and preserving the legislative process, but we have moved into the emerging role of the city clerk as a manager of public information charged with the responsibility of preserving the public record that is entrusted to us.
Duties & Services
We accomplish our mission by:
- Administering the legislative process
The City Clerk’s Office is responsible for:
- Attestation of official documents
- City Council agendas and minutes
- Codification of ordinances
- The conduct of municipal elections
- Legal advertising
- Overseeing appointments to the City’s various boards and commissions
- Providing information in order to facilitate public participation in governmental processes
The office is involved in the dissemination of information both before and after decisions are made.
We inform the community about city business not only through prescribed legal advertising but increasingly through:
- The "information highway" (i.e. Internet)
- Cable television community bulletin boards
- Display/informational ads
- Informational videos
- Press releases
- Provision of agenda packages to the public library
- Zoning notices
- Live television broadcasts of:
- Board and commission meetings
- City Council meetings
- Other public meetings as directed
- Providing records management services
The City Clerk is recognized by the State of Florida as the official records custodian for the City of Titusville. The City Clerk’s Office provides records management services for all City departments (exclusive of law enforcement) by storing:
- Destroying records that have met retention schedules
- Inactive records
- Maintaining an inventory of those records
- Microfilming certain records
- Offering prompt retrieval
- Staffing a service and information desk
The receptionist in the lobby of City Hall receives incoming telephone calls to the organization and connects those calls to the appropriate departments, responds to public requests for general information (including services offered by other government agencies), and directs visitors to the proper offices. The receptionist also acts as a central receiving point for the receipt and distribution of facsimiles.
- Providing mail services
The City Clerk’s Office provides mail services for all City departments, including the pick up of mail from the Post Office and delivery of same, pick up and delivery of intradepartmental mail, processing of outgoing mail (including some utility bills and bulk mailings), and delivery to the Post Office. The role of the City Clerk’s Office is expanding and changing as we reach out to accept responsibility for non-traditional tasks and work smarter in the midst of economic uncertainties and a changing government environment.
- Provides liaison support
In addition, the City Clerk’s Office provides liaison and recording secretarial support to the Student Advisory Council and the Titusville Community Service Award Committee.