The City of Titusville, Florida / Community Development / Natural Resources / 10 Business-Friendly Ideas for Going Green10 Business-Friendly Ideas for Going Green
Going green is about reducing energy consumption and producing less waste in our daily operations, which benefits our environment and the wildlife that depends on it. In the long run, going green can save businesses real cash by operating more efficiently, using less energy, and consuming fewer resources.
The following are 10 Business-Friendly Ideas for Going Green:
- Install timers or motion sensors that automatically shut off lights in offices and work areas when they're not needed.
- Organize a company carpool program and encourage employees to carpool, bike, walk or take transit to work. ReThink Your Commute is a great place to start.
- Make it a policy to buy furniture, carpeting and paint that are free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and won't off-gas toxic chemicals.
- Purchase an online fax service to replace the traditional fax machine, so that all faxes can be sent via e-mail.
- Make it a policy to turn off your computer when you leave for the day.
- Set office printers to automatically print on both sides of the paper and set the default print quality to "draft" or "fast" which uses less ink.
- Recycle toner and ink cartridges and buy remanufactured ones.
- Place recycling bins in accessible, high-traffic areas and provide clear information about what can and cannot be recycled.
- Use native plants for landscaping and advanced irrigation systems.
- Invest in videoconferencing and other technology that can reduce the amount of employee travel.