The City of Titusville, Florida / Community Development / Building Department / Certificates of Occupancy Certificates of Occupancy
Before a new residential, commercial, or industrial building can be occupied and used, a "Certificate of Occupancy" must be obtained. Once the required inspections have been made and the construction found to be in compliance with all applicable Codes, the Building Department will issue the Certificate of Occupancy.
A minimum of three (3) business days are required to process a Certificate of Occupancy
Excerpts from the Florida Building Code;
111.1 Use and occupancy.
No building or structure shall be used or occupied, and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall be made, until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy therefor as provided herein. Issuance of a certificate of occupancy shall not be construed as an approval of a violation of the provisions of this code or of other ordinances of the jurisdiction.
111.2 Certificate issued.
After the building official inspects the building or structure and finds no violations of the provisions of this code or other laws that are enforced by the department of building safety, the building official shall issue a certificate of occupancy that contains the following:
1. The building permit number.
2. The address of the structure.
3. The name and address of the owner.
4. A description of that portion of the structure for which the certificate is issued.
5. A statement that the described portion of the structure has been inspected for compliance with the requirements of this code for the occupancy and division of occupancy and the use for which the proposed occupancy is classified.
6. For buildings and structures in flood hazard areas, a statement that documentation of the as-built lowest floor elevation has been provided and is retained in the records of the authority having jurisdiction
7. The name of the building official.
8. The edition of the code under which the permit was issued.
9. The use and occupancy, in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 3.
10. The type of construction as defined in Chapter 6.
11. The design occupant load.
12. If an automatic sprinkler system is provided, whether the sprinkler system is required.
13. Any special stipulations and conditions of the building permit.