ROAD CLOSURE NOTICE: S. Park Avenue at Smith Lane (south side of Smith) will be closed for TWO WEEKS starting October 15 at approximately 6 a.m. The road will be closed 24-hours a day throughout the time period. A detour will run through Smith Ln. out to Park Avenue and the side streets such as Rosella and Tudor.
The City of Titusville, Florida / Fire & Emergency Services / NewsVehicle Trunks Can Be Fatal to Children
||From 2005 to 2009, 16 children trapped in trunks resulted in their deaths, due to poor ventilation and high temperatures within the trunk.
Safety tips in and around vehicle trunks
- Lock vehicles and trunks when vehicle is not in use.
- Place all keys out of sight and out of the reach of children at all times.
- Teach children that trunks are for the transport of cargo only.
- Make sure children understand that trunks are not a safe place to hide in or play in.
- Ensure rear fold-down seats are closed to prevent children from entering the trunk from the inside.
- If your child is missing, GET HELP IMMEDIATELY!
- For missing children, check swimming pools, vehicles and trunks!
- Ensure older children know where the emergency trunk release is located in vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2001.
- Remember, young children may not have the strength or ability to open the emergency release bar found in trunks.
Steps to follow if a child is found locked in a car
- Quickly remove the child from the vehicle!
- Call 9-1-1 immediately!
- Emergency personnel are trained to evaluate and check for signs of heat stroke or breathing difficulties.
- If the child is not breathing, begin CPR.
Email Disclaimer: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.