ROAD CLOSURE NOTICE: S. Park Avenue at Smith Lane (south side of Smith) will be closed for TWO WEEKS starting October 15 at approximately 6 a.m. The road will be closed 24-hours a day throughout the time period. A detour will run through Smith Ln. out to Park Avenue and the side streets such as Rosella and Tudor.
The City of Titusville, Florida / Fire & Emergency Services / NewsLightning Safety-When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!
Lightning: What You Need to Know!
|Lightning Awareness Safety Week:
Indoor Lightning Safety:
- NO PLACE outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area!
- If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you.
- When you hear thunder, immediately move to safe shelter: a substantial building with electricity, plumbing, or an enclosed metal-topped vehicle with windows up.
- Stay in safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.
Last Resort Outdoor Risk Reduction Tips:
If you are caught outside with no safe shelter anywhere nearby, the following actions may reduce your risk:
- Stay off corded phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity.
- Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.
- Stay away from windows and doors and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors, and do not lean against concrete walls.
- Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks.
- Never lie flat on the ground.
- Never shelter under an isolated tree.
- Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter.
- Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water.
- Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc.).
Email Disclaimer: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.