Christmas Week – Tuesday’s pickup for garbage and yard trash will be on Wednesday. There are no other changes for the week.
New Year’s Week – Tuesday’s pickup for garbage, recycle and yard waste will be on Wednesday. There are no other changes for the week.
The City of Titusville, Florida / Fire & Emergency Services / NewsCooking A Safe Thanksgiving Dinner
||COOKING: THE LEADING CAUSE OF ALL WINTER FIRES
Home fires are more prevalent in winter than in any other season, due in part to the increase in cooking fires resulting from holiday cooking. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fires resulting from cooking continue to be the most common type of fire experienced by U.S. households. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of civilian fire injuries in residences.
These fires are preventable by simply being more attentive to the use of cooking materials and equipment. Don't become a cooking fire casualty this holiday season. Learn the facts about cooking fire safety today!
SAFE COOKING TIPS
- Never leaving boiling, frying, or broiling food unattended. Stay in the kitchen!
- Check food that is cooking regularly; use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire--oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels--away from your stovetop.
- Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.
- Wear short, close-fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and can catch fire if it comes into contact with a gas flame or electric burner.
- Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Never use an extension cord for cooking appliances (such as microwaves or slow cookers) as the appliance can overload the circuit; instead, plug the appliance directly into an outlet.
- Check the electrical cords of your stove and any cooking appliances for cracks, breaks, or damage.
IF YOU HAVE A COOKING FIRE
- Keep a multi-use kitchen fire extinguisher handy.
- Always keep a lid nearby when you're cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Don't move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.
- In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. After a fire, the oven should be checked and/or serviced by a professional before being used again.
- NEVER APPLY WATER TO A GREASE FIRE--OIL AND WATER DO NOT MIX AND MAY CAUSE THE FIRE TO SPREAD OR EXPLODE.
- The best response to a fire is to GET OUT! (More than half of home cooking injuries occur when people try to fight the fire themselves.) When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire; call 9-1-1 after you leave.
THE FACTS (Source: U.S. Fire Administration)
- Young children and older adults face a higher risk of death from cooking fires than do other age groups.
- Males face a disproportionate risk of cooking fire injuries relative to the amount of cooking they do.
- Young children are at high risk from non-fire cooking-related burns (hot appliances, microwaves, stoves, etc.)
- Unattended cooking is the single leading factor contributing to cooking fires.
- Many other cooking fires begin because combustibles are too close to cooking heat sources.
- Frying is the cooking method posing the highest risk.
PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM SCALDS AND BURNS
- Keep hot foods and liquids away from the table or counter edges.
- Use the stove's back burners if there are young children in the home to prevent curious fingers from touching hot burners or pulling over heated pots.
- Never hold a child while cooking, drinking, or carrying hot foods or liquids.
Email Disclaimer: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.