Student Advisory Council|
February 19, 2019
The Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida.
Co-Chairperson Diamond Washington called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. Present were Co-Chairperson Diamond Washington, Vice-Chairperson Simon Recicar, Secretary Isabella Almiñana, and Members Emilee Ellis, Isaac Gutman, Ben Hamilton, Caleb Phillips, and Jacob Phillips. Also in attendance were North Brevard Home School Association Advisor (NBHSA) Cathie Gutman, Secretary/Staff Liaisons Debbie Denman and Jolynn Donhoff. Co-Chairperson Emma Milbert and Member Taylor Batson, and Josiah Johnson were absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member C. Phillips moved to approve the minutes of the Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of January 15, 2019, as submitted. Vice-Chair Recicar seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS – None.
Annual Report to Council – Co-Chair Washington facilitated updating and confirming the following SAC members were writing and presenting the Annual Report to City Council on April 23, 2019 (6:30 p.m.). City staff liaisons reminded the SAC members that they must email their individual sections of the report to staff by or before April 1, 2019.
Second, the Student Advisory Council (SAC) members discussed two (2) to four (4) goals they might recommend to the 2019/2020 SAC, which would need to be finalized in April 2019. Thus far, the SAC reached a tentative consensus, as followed:
- Introduction (Member C. Phillips would write and Vice-Chair Recicar would present)
- Hold a Mock City Council meeting (Substitute Project - Hold a Long Table Event) (Secretary Almiñana would write and present)
- Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage (Member C. Phillips would write and present)
- Partner with the local high school on a community service project (Member Batson would write and present)
- 2018 Florida League of Cities Municipal Youth Video Contest (Co-Chair Washington would write and present)
- Conclusion (Member J. Phillips would write and present)
- Improve the DrinkDriveDie webpage and initiate related projects, such as updating the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video.
- Host a Leadership Seminar.
- Participate or organize a beach clean-up.
Member C. Phillips would research other agencies and beach clean-up projects, spanning from North Brevard to South Brevard County, and report back at the regular SAC meeting on March 19, 2019. Potential agencies mentioned included Brevard Zoo, Keep Brevard Beautiful, and the Greater Titusville Renaissance. It was suggested the SAC also consider whether they would advertise and invite their peers to participate or whether it would be only SAC Members that participated in this pending goal for FY 2019/2020.
- Support the Chamber of Commerce with hosting the 2020 Longest Table Event.
During the discussion, but simultaneously while discussing updating the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video (Theme: anti-drinking and driving project), the SAC discussed their interest in participating in future video contests hosted by the Florida League of Cities.
Again, two (2) to four (4) goals for FY 2019/2020 would need to be finalized in April 2019.
Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage – This request was to receive updates and recommendations from 2018/2019 Webmaster Caleb Phillips based on ideas discussed in January 2019. Webmaster C. Phillips advised he was waiting for particular statistics to be published and there were no changes at to the webpage at the present time.
Hold a Mock City Council Meeting (Substitute Project – Hold a Long Table Event) – The request was to receive a report from Council members on the Titusville Longest Table Event held on February 15, 2019. The overall consensus of the SAC was that the event was very successful and a good time was had by all. They felt it was important for their teen Council members to make a good impression by assisting with the set-up and clean-up, serving food and waiting tables, and taking tickets. Additionally, the SAC recommended having more youth attendance at the next Chamber of Commerce Long Table Event (if one was organized).
NBHSA Advisor Gutman recommended that the SAC volunteer next year for the Long Table Event and make it a point to converse with more people and be more visible.
Partner with Local High Schools on a Community Service Project – Co-Chair Washington facilitated Council’s discussion on further planning details for the project, as followed:
- Permission status from Astronaut High that was to be championed by Member T. Batson was pending (not complete/no report provided).
- Member C. Phillips advised that the Park Avenue Youth Ministry agreed to assist in promoting the event if they were supplied the graphics.
- The Grove Church’s assistance that was to be championed by Member T. Batson was pending (not complete/no report provided).
- Member C. Phillips provided a sample flyer and there was a consensus of SAC to use the flyer once it was modified with additional language, the SAC logo, school colors, and a generic flyer that would be used by the NBHSA.
- Posters would be created after the meeting by all.
- Postponed making a short video to publicize the event until the regular SAC meeting on March 20, 2019.
- Donation Recipients
- Co-Chair Washington reported that Housing for the Homeless always accepted donations. She advised that she would be able to deliver the donations to Housing for the Homeless once the event was over.
- Astronaut High Eagle’s Nest Market was a pending recipient and would await feedback from Co-Chair Milbert.
- Other Critical Details
- City staff liaisons would write letters to each high school administration office notifying the schools of the project
- All SAC Members would need to bring plastic grocery bags (to gather the donations) on the night of March 29, 2019.
- Posters for the donation tables would be completed by the SAC immediately following the next SAC meeting on March 19, 2019
- City staff would provide the SAC with brochures on March 19, 2019, which could be shared with the public on March 29, 2019
Co-Liaison Donhoff advised that Ashley Malizzi had resigned from the Student Advisory Council.
Member Shirts - In November, Council agreed on the design for a t-shirt, with the City logo and other logos. In December, the City Council approved Council’s request to use the City logo (seal) on their shirts (City Code/law requirement). In January, staff notified Council of an informal quote staff received from a local t-shirt shop according to their design (approx. $25 per shirt).
Discussion ensued on price and shirt designs and fabrics.
Vice-Chair Recicar would work with City staff liaison Donhoff to contact Print Boy for design and pricing options. Member C. Phillips would research pricing from other companies to include polo shirts with just the SAC or City logo printed on them. They would both bring back recommendations at the regular SAC meeting on March 19, 2019.
Member C. Phillips advised that he and Member J. Phillips would be attending the Florida League of Cities Legislative Action Days Tour in Tallahassee on March 26-27, 2019. He asked if there was any information the SAC desired he and Member J. Phillips to discuss with the other teen councils at the event or if there was any information they desired to be presented at the event.
Co-Liaison Donhoff advised that this item would be added to the next regular SAC meeting agenda for discussion on March 20, 2019.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action Items - None
Informational Items – City staff liaison Donhoff highlighted the following informational items:
3. Member Meeting & Project Preparation Time Sheet
- Student Advisory Council 2019/2020 Appointments – Nominations from the high schools were due to the City staff liaisons by April 1, 2019
- Council Scholarship Award Policy – Applications due to City liaisons by March 1st
4. Mini-Grant for Youth Service Projects – America’s Promise Alliance:Power of Youth Challenge Deadline for registration was March 31, 2019.
Member C. Phillips advised that the $250 Mini-Grant for Youth Service Projects would be good for funding a beach clean-up (or other projects). Secretary Almiñana would research the mini-grant information and bring back further information at the next regular SAC meeting on March 19, 2019.
Member C. Phillips moved to adjourn the meeting at 4:52 p.m. Vice-Chair Recicar seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.