Student Advisory Council|
January 15, 2019
The Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida.
Co-Chairperson Emma Milbert called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Ashley Malizzi and Diamond Washington, Vice-Chairperson Simon Recicar, Secretary Isabella Almiñana, and Members Taylor Batson, Emilee Ellis, Isaac Gutman, Ben Hamilton, Josiah Johnson, Caleb Phillips, and Jacob Phillips. Also in attendance were North Brevard Home School Association Advisor (NBHSA) Cathie Gutman, Secretary/Staff Liaisons Debbie Denman and Jolynn Donhoff.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
NBHSA Advisor Gutman encouraged all the Council to fully participate and speak-up at all meetings, keep in mind what it took to get things done, and to work together to formulate plans.
Member Batson moved to approve the minutes of the Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of December 18, 2018, as submitted. Vice-Chair Recicar seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Annual Report to Council – Co-Chair Milbert highlighted the request, which was to identify which SAC members would co-write the individual sections of the upcoming 2018/2019 Annual Report that would be presented to the City Council on April 23, 2019. The annual report was based on the following four goals for the 2018/2019 term:
- Hold a Mock City Council meeting (Substitute Project - Hold a Long Table Event).
- Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage. Member C. Phillips would write and present. (Tentative)
- Partner with the local high school on a community service project- (Original target AHS/THS Tail Gate event on 11/2/2018 - scope of project to collect canned foods, hygiene products, and small stuffed animals for those in need. Spring 2019, home baseball games next target). Member Batson would write and present
- 2018 Florida League of Cities Municipal Youth Video Contest (Add-on project –Theme: What makes your City great? Plus, raise awareness of your City’s unique characteristics or its municipal services). Co-Chair Washington would write and present.
Finally, the Student Advisory Council (SAC) members would need to solidify the 2019/2020 goals by April 16, 2019.
Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage
Co-Chair Malizzi moved to table item - Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage until later in the meeting, to allow time for Webmaster C. Phillips to arrive to the meeting. Secretary Almiñana seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Hold a Mock City Council Meeting (Substitute Project – Hold a Long Table Event) – In December 2018, Council agreed to partner or support the Titusville Chamber of Commerce and its President, Ms. Marcia Gaedcke, who was organizing a Long Table Event tentatively scheduled for Friday, February 15, 2019 (in the Julia Street parking lot).
Liaison Donhoff advised that members of the City’s Administration approved the SAC’s participation in the Titusville Chamber of Commerce with the Titusville Longest Table event. There was a concern in December 2018 that alcohol would be served, but it was confirmed by Ms. Gaedcke that alcohol would not be served or provided at the 2019 event.
After more discussion, the SAC and Ms. Marcia Gaedcke agreed on the following items:
- The Student Advisory Council (SAC) would attend the event, with the goal that each SAC member would sell three (3) tickets to the event to persons they individually felt had ideas or concerns to contribute to the table discussions at the upcoming event.
- Council members would be provided a ticket due to they were assisting Ms. Gaedcke with the event.
- Ms. Gaedcke would supply 48 tickets to the City staff liaisons in the next day or two, which would be picked-up by the following school high school representatives, by Friday, January 18, 2019 at the Titusville City Hall.
NBHSA Advisor Gutman would pick tickets up for the NBHSA.
Secretary Almiñana would pick tickets up for Titusville High School.
Member Batson would pick tickets up for Astronaut High School.
- Ms. Gaedcke would issue a press release advertising that the Titusville Student Advisory Council was supporting the Titusville Chamber of Commerce with the event.
- SAC Members would assist with setting up for the event, registration table (get there early), sell tickets, and tear down after the event.
- Liaison Donhoff would send an email to the SAC Members one week prior to the event that contained useful logistical information to assist SAC Members with their roles.
- Dress code was business-casual.
- Ms. Gaedcke would need a head count for the event by Friday, February 8, 2019.
Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage – This item was tabled previously in the meeting to allow time for Webmaster C. Phillips to arrive. The City staff liaisons requested formal action as to whether the Council desired renewing the DrinkDriveDie.com domain name rights through GoDaddy.com, using Project account no. GFCC04. The approximate cost for one year was $15, two years is $30, etc. The second request was to receive an update from 2018/2019 Webmaster Caleb Phillips and authorize the webmaster to make any desired changes to the webpage discussed at this meeting.
Webmaster C. Phillips felt the SAC should consider the following:
Consider linking the webpage to Instagram (social media). It was noted that incorporating social media required the City Manager’s authorization, contracting with a vendor to manage and protect the project’s public records, staff time to manage the accounts, etc. Social media was a tentative and pending idea.
- Continue the webpage for at least one (1) more year and gain more exposure to the site.
- Include new concepts/modern ideas, initiate related projects.
- Expand the focus of the project to anti-drug use, vaping, etc.
- Involve the community “Make it a community thing.”
- Remove the 2008 The Last Dance (anti-drinking prom video).
- Make a new anti-drinking and driving consequences video.
- Collect U.S. Census data and other data that might be incorporated into a new video and the current webpage.
Co-Chair Milbert departed from the meeting and Co-Chair Washington took over the Chairperson responsibilities.
The Student Advisory Council (SAC) were in agreement (consensus) that they would continue with the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage for one (1) year. They would also re-address the matter of whether to continue the webpage in January 2020, including whether webpage traffic had increased. Webmaster C. Phillips would revise and update the website and report back to the SAC.
Member C. Phillips moved to approve funding the DrinkDriveDie.com domain name rights through GoDaddy.com, using Project account no. GFCC04 for one (1) year. Vice-Chair Recicar seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Member C. Phillips agreed to write and present the report for the 2018/2019 Goal - Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage for the 2018/2019 Annual Report.
Partner with Local High Schools on a Community Service Project – Co-Chair Washington led the discussion on planning the project, with the target of the spring 2019 baseball season to collect donations of canned foods, etc. Staff recommended having a written plan and SAC Members taking on elective assignments to be completed in between the Council’s meetings. Co-Chair Washington led the SAC Members through the planning (document) that was provided in the meeting agenda package, as followed:
Co-Chair Washington would contact Housing for the Homeless.
- Event date(s) and Location
- Astronaut High School (AHS) versus Titusville High School (THS) baseball game Friday, March 29, 2019, at the AHS baseball field.
- Arrive at 6:00 p.m. to set-up. The game started at 7:00 p.m.
- Member Batson would speak with AHS Advisor Cheryl Shivel for requirements and permissions to hold the event, set up a donations table at the baseball game, and report back on February 19, 2019.
- Desired donation items
- Canned foods, hygiene products, and small stuffed animals.
- Member Batson would inquire whether The Grove Church would like to partner for the event.
- Member C. Phillips would inquire whether Park Avenue Baptist Church would like to partner for the event.
- They would report back at the February 19, 2019 SAC meeting.
- Member C. Phillips (confirmed) and Member Batson would provide sample flyers at the February 19, 2019 SAC meeting.
- It was discussed that non-SAC/Council members that were not subject to State Sunshine Laws and which did not participate in any de facto communications with the public and the Council might post the food drive event information on the Facebook social media site What’s Happening in Titusville.
- Staff Liaisons would supply items to make posters immediately following the next SAC meeting on February 19, 2019. Council would place posters at their respective schools.
- The SAC would make a quick video on February 19, 2019 to take back and use to publicize the event at their schools.
- Donation Recipient
- Eagle’s Market at AHS (SAC Suggested Co-Chair Milbert)
- Co-Chair Malizzi would contact North Brevard Charities.
Note: The aforementioned SAC Members would report back on the potential donation recipients at the next SAC meeting on February 19, 2019.
Further planning. Council agreed that further discussion and planning for the project would continue at the regular SAC meeting on February 19, 2019.
Donation boxes. Member Batson advised that she could secure cardboard or other boxes to accept donations on March 29, 2019. More assistance in this area was possibly needed.
Notify the local high schools. City staff liaisons Denman and Donhoff would prepare and mail a letter notifying each high school’s administration office(s) about the project.
MEMBER REPORTS - None
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action Items - None
Informational Items – City staff liaison Donhoff highlighted the following informational items:
Members C. Phillips and J. Phillips – Yes/going
- Student Advisory Council 2019/2020 Appointments – Nominations from the high schools were due to the City staff liaisons by April 1, 2019
- Council Scholarship Award Policy – Applications due to City liaisons by March 1st
- Up to $2,500 Student Scholarship Opportunity via Space Coast League of Cities
- Tallahassee Legislative Action Days - March 26-27, 2019 –
Co-Chairs Malizzi and Washington – Tentative/Not confirmed
RSVPs and release forms were due to the City Liaisons by January 30, 2019
5.Titusville High School “New Thing” and Brief Club Meeting During Home Room
6. Shirts – SAC requested continuing this discussion on February 19, 2019
7. Member Meeting & Project Preparation Time Sheet
8. 2019 FL League of Cities – Youth Video Contest (deadline March 13, 2019)
Member C. Phillips moved to adjourn the meeting at 5:52 p.m. Co-Chair Malizzi seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.