STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL|
Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson Simon Recicar (NBHSA)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of August 20, 2019.
V. NEW BUSINESS
A. Assignment of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary – Per Resolution No. 1-2017, the Student Advisory Council (SAC) will assign members of its cabinet to the positions of Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and any other officers the Council deems necessary (Please note by-laws do not exist that define each position’s responsibilities, etc.). Your Council might also assign a photographer to capture your activities (please email to City liaisons).
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Support the Chamber of Commerce with hosting the 2020 Longest Table Event – Per your request in August, staff invited Chamber of Commerce President Marcia Gaedcke to this meeting; however, Ms. Gaedcke is unavailable, but did indicate that she is looking forward to your Council’s assistance and will try and attend your next monthly meeting.
B. Host a Leadership Seminar (Tentatively scheduled on Thursday, March 5, 2020 and back-up date March 12, 2020) - Use the attached “updated” planning guide to help you plan, organize, and carry-out this event. Tasks are listed in order of importance. Hear from members that took-on elective assignments in August 2019.
C. Participate or organize a beach clean-up – Target date Saturday, October 26, 2019, 9:00 a.m. until 11:30 a.m., at Canaveral National Seashore. Hear from members that took-on elective assignments in August 2019.
- Co-Chair Almiñana will report back on contacting the Seashore Offices on permissions, admission costs or waiver thereof, etc.
- Other members to report back on speaking with school student government associations (SGAs) and collaborating with the schools (See SAC minutes of August 20, 2019).
- Tentative: C. Phillips to report back on Brevard Zoo’s organized clean-ups. Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage and initiate related projects, such as updating the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – View the 2008 The Last Dance anti-drinking and driving video that inspired DrinkDriveDie.com. Hear from Webmaster Caleb Phillips on his discussions with the City’s Sr. Media Specialist, who may lend his assistance with updating the 2008 video, with a possible and additional theme of anti-texting and driving---a primary offense effective July 1, 2019, Florida Statues, Chapter 316.305. - Wireless communications devices; prohibition. If undertaking a new video, staff recommends creating a planning guide to stay organized (see attached sample)
D. Mini-Grants for Youth Service Projects - America’s Promise Alliance: Power of Youth Challenge – Briefly discussed in August 2019, receive info from Member Sevor on her research of the mini-grant at website https://www.americaspromise.org/program-page/power-youth-challenge. (In March 2019, the 2018/2019 SAC tabled this item to your meeting on August 20, 2019 SAC for more discussion and additional research. On August 20, 2019,Member Sevor volunteered to research and report back.)
VII. MEMBER REPORTS
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
A. Action items: None
B. Informational Items:
- Volunteer Board and Commission Members’ Appreciation Dinner – Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 6PM – RSVP by September 11, 2019 (Ph. 567-3686). Each board member may bring one guest. Where: Indian River Golf Preserve in Mims, FL.
- Available Budget - General Acct/#GFCC001 $406. DDD Webpage/#GFCC04 $1,898.
- Personal Meeting & Project Preparation Time Sheet – Members wishing to track personal hours preparing for meetings and events (monthly basis), please submit your time sheets to the City liaisons. Travel time and meetings are not eligible for “personal” time. Please note: The City cannot validate personal hours, but it can validate your time spent at meetings, the leadership seminar, etc.
- Agendas – As announced at your first meeting on August 20, 2019, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting; However, City liaisons typically have difficulty with one or two email addresses. Please note: It is each SAC Member’s responsibility to obtain and study the agenda prior to your meetings.
Pick-up from City Hall (Another option): you may pick up a hardcopy of the meeting agenda by visiting the Information Desk on the first floor of City Hall. A hardcopy of your Council’s agendas will also be available at your meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall. Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary. (City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).