STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Tuesday, April 16, 2019, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
- CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson Emma Milbert (AHS)
- DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
- COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of March 19, 2019.
- NEW BUSINESS
- OLD BUSINESS
- Community Service Project Review – Discuss the results of the canned food drive and other donations collected at the Astronaut-Titusville High baseball game on March 29, 2019.
- Continue to Improve DrinkDriveDie.com – Receive updates from 2018/2019 Webmaster Caleb Phillips, based on ideas discussed in January 2019.
- 2018/2019 Annual Report and Goals for 2019/2020 – Draft attached. Your Council will present the final draft of the Annual Report on April 23, 2019 at 6:30 p.m., as followed:
- Introduction (Member C. Phillips wrote and Vice-Chair Recicar will present)
- Hold a Mock City Council Meeting – Substitute Project – Hold a Long Table Event (Secretary Almiñana wrote and will present)
- Continue to improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage (Member Phillips wrote and will present)
- Partner with the local high schools on a community service project – (Pending: Member Batson was assigned to write and present. Confirm these details.)
- 2018 Florida League of Cities Municipal Youth Video Contest (Co-Chair Washington wrote and will present)
- Conclusion with tentative goals for 2019/2020 (Member J. Phillips wrote and will present)
Next, confirm or adjust the following 2019/2020 goals, if desired.
- Host a Leadership Seminar
- Participate or organize a beach clean-up (as discussed on March 19, 2019)
- Support the Chamber of Commerce with hosting the 2020 Longest Table Event
- Improve the DrinkDriveDie webpage and initiate related project, such as updating the 2008Last Dance Prom Video (as discussed on January 15, 2019)
VII. MEMBER REPORTS
- FL League of Cities Legislative Action Days: March 26-27, 2019 – Members C. Phillips and J. Phillips will report on their recent travel to Tallahassee, perhaps with info your Council requested in March 2019.
- Other Member Reports -
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action items: None
The Big Night! April 23, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. (Reminder): Three (3) SAC/Council related events are scheduled for the City Council meeting on Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in City Hall Council Chamber (2nd floor). Please feel welcome to invite your family and friends for the big night! Business casual attire is appropriate.
- Member Shirts – Information on ordering Council t-shirts and polo shirts (shirts are not mandatory, but optional) will be included in the 2019/2020 Council member orientation/welcome packet (August 2019). Reminder - the cost of shirts is the responsibility of individual SAC members.
- Member Meeting & Project Preparation Time Sheet – Members wishing to track personal hours spent preparing for meetings and events on a monthly and annual basis, please submit your time sheets to the Staff Liaisons. Travel time is not eligible for reporting and the City cannot validate additional hours reported by SAC Members.
- Scholarship Policy – Each April, as stated in the policy, the City liaisons will provide each SAC member a personal annual statement attesting whether each student met the scholarship qualification guidelines for the current term.
a. SAC’s/Your Council’s Annual Report to the City Council
b. Scholarships for graduating senior SAC members
c. 2019/2020 SAC Member Appointments