- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - March 10, 2020
Student Advisory Council - March 10, 2020
Student Advisory Council
March 10, 2020
The 2019/2020 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 in the kitchen or break room, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida. Co-Chairperson Simon Recicar called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Isabella Almiñana and Simon Recicar, Vice-Chairperson Caleb Phillips, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Emilee Ellis, Isaac Gutman, Ben Hamilton, Jacob Phillips, Savannah Sevor, and Aiden Sperr. Staff Liaison’s Debbie Denman and Jolynn Donhoff was also present. Co-Chairperson Josiah Johnson and Secretary Taylor Batson were absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips requested a correction. He indicated that the draft SAC minutes of February 18, 2020 should indicate that Member J. Phillips was unsure whether he could attend the Longest Table event.
Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of February 18, 2020, as corrected. Member Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS – None.
Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage and initiate related projects, such as updating the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips advised that the draft of the video’s script for the new and improved The Last Dance anti-drinking and driving video should be ready by April 2020. Concerning the anti-drinking webpage itself, he advised that there was no intention to update the webpage until the 2020 U.S. Census and statistics were completed and published.
Host a Leadership Seminar (Event date February 27, 2020) – Co-Chairperson Recicar facilitated discussion from the Student Advisory Council (SAC) on any improvements they would recommend for future leadership seminars. The recommendations included:
- SAC members should carefully look at the dates or schedules for all school extracurricular activities and try and avoid those dates when selecting the date for the seminar. (Member Sperr indicated orchestra was on the same day as the 2020 seminar).
- Better advertising at the schools to solicit more applications, due to the 2020 attendance was lower than previous years.
- Make the program’s timeline a bit tighter or fill up the times when the seminar’s guests were just hanging-out and not doing anything.
- Get more SAC members committed to soliciting donations from local businesses, for items like breakfast foods, drinks, etc., unless the SAC desired skipping this and using their general budget for costs. (The 2020 donations was mainly covered by Publix, who City staff contacted, whereas the SAC were the hosts and should do the necessary work to make the accommodations for their guests)
- If having door prizes was important to future Student Advisory Councils (successors), then get the SAC members committed to seeking them from local businesses during the months leading up to the seminar.
Chamber of Commerce 2020 Longest Table Event (Event date Friday, February 28, 2020) – Co-Chairperson Recicar facilitated discussion from the Student Advisory Council (SAC) on any improvements they would recommend for future Longest Table dinners hosted by the Titusville area Chamber of Commerce. It was reported that eight or nine of the SAC Members that on February 18, 2020 said they would attend the dinner, three SAC members arrived at 3PM to help with setting up tables, placing table clothes on the tables, preparing to lead the ice-breaker activity, etc. Two additional SAC members arrived at 5PM; however, the dinner was an overall success and to which was approximately two-thirds filled to seating capacity.
Annual Report to City Council – Co-Chairperson Recicar reviewed each of the Student Advisory Council’s (SAC) individual assignments and deadline that were necessary to build the report, as listed on the meeting’s agenda. Liaison Donhoff reminded all that were present of the following: (1) Each SAC member’s individual report must be emailed to her by April 1, 2020; and (2) The SAC must decide on two to four goals for the 2020/2021 term, by April 21, 2020. Then, the SAC would present their annual report to City Council on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action items: None
Staff Liaison Donhoff highlighted the Staff Liaison Report, as followed:
1. 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council (SAC) Member Appointments – City staff noted these were due from the high schools (advisors) by April 3, 2020.
2. Outside Scholarship Opportunity: Deadline March 31, 2020 – An individual scholarship opportunity offered by the Florida League of Cities was provided in the SAC meeting agenda packet.
3. Meeting Agendas (Reminder) – City staff noted the procedures to view the meeting agenda packets prior to SAC meetings, as provided in the agenda packet.
ADJOURNMENT - With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.