10 Most Common Code Violations

Yard Maintenance Standards - Code of Ordinances (Section 13-26)

Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property.

Grass-type ground cover must be maintained at 12 inches or less in height. Hedges/Shrubs must be maintained at four feet or less in height in the front and street side yards. All shrubs planted in the public right-of-way must be maintained at a height of 3 feet or less. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists.

Inoperable Motor Vehicles - Code of Ordinances (Section 13-73)

An inoperable motor vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all the parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power (whether or not designed for use on public streets)

An inoperable vehicle cannot be stored on a property for more than 72 hours, except in a fully enclosed structure (i.e. garage/carport).

Accumulation of Miscellaneous Junk & Debris - Code of Ordinances (Section 12-23)

Junk, trash, and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk such as:

  • Appliances
  • Auto parts
  • Building materials
  • Debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs
  • Furniture
  • Tires
  • Trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc.

Parking Regulations - Code of Ordinances (Section 20-58)

Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles in residential lots only on an approved legal driveway or garage. A driveway or parking area must be constructed with approved materials. There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for parking in certain areas. Check with the Engineering Services Department for more information regarding these limitations.

Outdoor Storage - Code of Ordinances (Section 6-109)

Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside. You may store items such as:

  • Barbecue grill
  • Garden hoses
  • Garden tools
  • Lawn furniture
  • Lawnmower outside in an orderly fashion
  • Outdoor children’s play equipment

Conditions of Structures - Code of Ordinances (Section 6-109)

The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. The following must be maintained in a weather-tight, rodent-proof, sound condition, and good repair:

  • Any wood
  • Ceiling
  • Doors
  • Fences
  • Porches
  • Railings
  • Roof coverings
  • Shingles
  • Siding
  • Walls
  • Windows and screens
  • Other exterior parts of a structure  

The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors, or other openings that cannot be readily opened from the outside. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure to prevent break-ins from occurring.

Prohibited Businesses - Code of Ordinances (Section 11-31)

Most businesses are not allowed to operate in residential areas. This means that car and boat repairs, construction of cabinets and furniture, and other activities that are not normally carried on in a residential district are prohibited, except that you may work on your own car, boat, etc., provided the activity does not disrupt or create a hazardous condition to the public.

Commercial Equipment - Code of Ordinances (Section 39-71)

Generally, commercial equipment and commercial vehicles may not be parked in a residential area. For each residential lot, one commercial vehicle designed as a van, pick-up truck, or similar vehicle may be parked on a legally recognized parking area. No semis, tractor-trailers, or other large commercial vehicles are allowed to be parked in residential areas for any period of time.

Illegal Dwelling Units - Code of Ordinances (Section 6-56)

Dwelling units that have been added to the interior or the exterior of a structure without proper permits are illegal, regardless of how long the units have existed.

Paint - Code of Ordinances (Section 6-109)

Paint or other water-resistant treatment is required on the exterior of structures. Approved exterior siding or brick that is well maintained and water-resistant will also meet the code. Any repairs to the exterior of a structure must be made with materials that match the balance of the structure; therefore, siding or brick must be repaired using similar siding or brick. When damaged wood is repaired, the replacement wood must be painted the same as the surrounding wood.