- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - February 21, 2023
Student Advisory Council - February 21, 2023
Student Advisory Council
February 21, 2023
The 2022/2023 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, February 21, 2023, in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796.
Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr called the meeting to order at 4:01 p.m.
Present were Co-Chairperson Savannah Sevor, Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke, Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr, Vice-Chair Edie Pringle, and members Addison Flake, Julia Moon, Cooper Mangini, Julia Curtis and Caydn Fiebig.
Members Richie Dobbs, Callie Cerrato, and Victoria Hillery were absent.
Also present was City staff liaison Emily Campbell and THS Advisor Kathleen Rios.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Vice-Chair Edie Pringle moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on January 17, 2023, as written. Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Mock City Council (MCC) – March 9, 2023 – Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr stated that all Student Advisory Members were expected to attend and it would count toward the attendance requirement.
Assistant City Attorney Chelsea Farrell reviewed agenda item 9B – Mock Ordinance No. 4-2020 with the Student Advisory Council and advised them that during the Mock City Council they would be discussing and tabling this item.
Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr stated that the Dress Rehearsal/Special SAC meeting was scheduled for Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 4:15 p.m. and this meeting would count toward the attendance requirement.
Annual Report to City Council – Student Advisory Council’s governing resolution required Council to present an annual report to the City Council each April. The annual report would be a summary of Council’s accomplishments during the term, but which also included recommendations to Council’s successors. In order to write and organize this report, individual members of Council, typically in January and February, would accept assignments or volunteer to write each of the report’s sections (normally based on 2-4 projects/goals).
Co-Chairperson Savanah Sevor volunteered to write and read the introduction.
Vice-Chairperson Edie Pringle volunteered to write and read the conclusion.
Member Julia Moon volunteered to write the report on the Last Dance Video and Member Julia Curtis volunteered to read the report.
None of the members volunteered to write or read the report for Mock City Council.
Next Year’s Goals – Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr stated that by April 2023, Council needed to solidify 2-4 goals for your successors. Refer to Council’s mission statement. (To encourage involvement of young people in community affairs and create an awareness of their rights and responsibilities as citizens of Titusville.)
Motion: Member Julia Moon moved to approve the four goals that included: Continuing the Last Dance Video, Leadership Seminar, Beach Cleanup and Elementary School Art Project. Member Julia Curtis seconded the motion.
The motion carried unanimously.
Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com Webpage and continue to update The Last Dance Video – Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin reviewed and discussed The Last Dance Video script casting call and discussed next steps.
Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin discussed the casting call on Thursday, February 16, 2023. An additional casting call was needed to fill the remaining roles. The second casting call was scheduled for Monday, March 20, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. at the Fire Department in the multipurpose room.
The roles that were filled:
- Sophie: Via Still
- Anna: Julia Curtis
- Scott (Dad) — Lt. Tim Werring (TPD)
- Shirley (Mom) — Amy Matthews (TPD-PIO)
- Judge: Kerri Lubeski (TFD)
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIASON REPORT
Action items: None.
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet.
- Council2College Scholarship – The Florida League of Cities (FLC) Council2College Scholarship is an essay contest that assists Florida municipal youth council leaders who are pursuing post-high education. Two scholarship receipts will be selected: First place will receive $500 and second place will receive $250. Applicants must be graduating during the 2022-2023 school year. If any of the seniors are interested please let me know.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 16, 2022, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
Another option - pick-up hardcopy of the SAC meeting agenda from City Hall (Information Desk). A hardcopy of the agenda will also be available at meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month
at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall.
Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
(City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:51 p.m.