- Titusville Flag and Memorial Committee
- Flag & Memorial Committee 11/15/22
Flag & Memorial Committee 11/15/22
Flag and Memorial Committee
November 15, 2022
The Flag and Memorial Committee met in regular session on November 15, 2022, at the
American Space Museum, 308 Pine Street, Titusville, FL 32796
Chairman Therriault called the meeting to order at 11:01 a.m. Members present: Member Swink, Member Fuller, Member Conklin, Vice-Chair Pedersen, Member Northcutt and Member Lister. Also present were special guest, Jim Tulley, American Space Museum, and Secretary/Staff Liaison, Gail Gilchrist, City of Titusville.
- CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 11:01 a.m. by Chairman Therriault.
- DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM: A quorum was met.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Approval of minutes for the May 17, 2022 and October 18, 2022 meetings: A motion to approve the May 17, 2022 and October 18, 2022 minutes was made by Member Northcutt, seconded by Member Lister, it passed unanimously.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Veterans’ Day Ceremony: Chairman Therriault stated the venue for the ceremony was changed due to the impending hurricane. It was held at the American Legion, Post 1. He stated there was a good turnout and the event was very successful. Member Northcutt briefly discussed the “Under the Bridge” event.
- Flag Day Ceremony: Chairman Therriault stated the event was great and is on the schedule for next year.
- Blue Mass Ceremony: Chairman Therriault stated the event was great and is on the schedule for next year.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Election of Chairman and Vice-Chairman: A motion to reelect Al Therriault as Chairman and also reelect Carol Pedersen as Vice-Chair was made by Member Northcutt, seconded by Member Swink, both passed unanimously.
- Approval of Annual Report: A motion to approve the Annual Report was made by Member Swink, seconded by Member Northcutt, it passed unanimously.
- U.S. Constitution Day: Chairman Therriault introduced special guest Jim Tulley. Mr. Tulley spoke about September 17th being U.S. Constitution Day. Discussion ensued about this committee creating an event to honor U.S. Constitution Day with the help of the American Legion, VFW, DAR and any other organizations that would be willing to be involved. Mr. Tulley will create a sub-committee to go forward with this. A motion to create this event was made by Member Northcutt, seconded by Member Swink, it passed unanimously.
- Astronaut Memorial: Chairman Therriault has not been able to make contact with Navid yet, but will continue to try. The ceremony will be held on Sunday, January 29, 2023 starting at 1:00 p.m. Nicole Stott has been contacted to be the guest speaker. Discussion ensued.
- FUND RAISER ACTIVITES
This was tabled due to the committee having sufficient funds.
- ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION
Member Northcutt: stated will be doing the Thanksgiving Dinner under the bridge and have requested 80 pounds of sweet potatoes. Karen is doing the memorial for all deceased homeless people sometime in December.
Member Lister: stated there are changes in the officers due to one officer having been diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Member Swink: stated the 9th annual gold tournament is this Saturday with 84 golfers. They will serve food at the Elks Lodge afterwards. He said the Lodge is still growing and will bring in 41 new members in December, which will wind up the year with well over 400 members. Stated there is Bingo tonight and Bob’s Burgers this coming Thursday.
Member Fuller: stated there is a VFW meeting tomorrow night. Attendance has dropped. She will continue to push to purchase more wreaths for Wreaths Across America.
Member Conklin: stated the Museum is doing really well with all the programs.
Vice-Chair Pedersen: WAA is December 17th. Pilot Club is selling pecans and kept them at the same price they were last year. Will do the Fashion Show the last Saturday of March, however they are not sure where the proceeds will go. Stated they have some new really good members.
CAP – Just finished up with Hurricane Ian reconnaissance for FEMA. They are doing more photos of the St. Johns River Basin post Hurricane Nicole. This weekend they will be at the Elks Youth Camp. Encampment is coming up between Christmas and New Years at Camp Landing in Stark, FL. Stated the Day Street Cemetery lost a couple of flag poles during Hurricane Ian, however, they have been replaced. Wreaths Across America is December 17, 2022 and will start at 10:00 a.m. Discussion ensued about the number of wreaths as well as the number of cemeteries involved.
KOC – Christmas trees tent is up and the trees will arrive the day after Thanksgiving. They had their Octoberfest at Holy Spirit Church and stated it was a really good one. They will be doing a Polish night and will get that catered. Any proceeds will go to Father Chris’ 15 year anniversary gift.
- Meeting was adjourned at 12:03 p.m.