- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - August 17, 2021
Student Advisory Council - August 17, 2021
City of Titusville
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson Emilee Ellis (Astronaut High)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
Presentation by City Attorney’s Office - State’s Sunshine Laws (Florida Statutes) and Robert’s Rules of Order (Guidelines for conducting public meetings).
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
V. NEW BUSINESS
A. Welcome 2021-2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC)! – Member introductions. Also, meet the School Advisors, City Staff Liaison, etc. (**New City staff liaison Emily Campbell at Ph. 321-567-3686 or email: Emily.Campbell@Titusvile.com)
B. SAC’s Purpose and Orientation Packet – SAC Members should review the packet prior to your 1st meeting (did everyone receive the orientation packet?). Take this opportunity to ask questions on the packet’s contents, review the purpose of your Council as a government advisory board, etc.
C. Assignment of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary Positions – Per City Resolution No. 1-2017, your Council will assign members of its cabinet to the positions of Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and any other officers that your Council deems appropriate.
D. 2021/2022 Goals/Recommendations – Chairpersons: staff suggests providing background info (for new members) on each goal. The 2020/2021 Annual Report to City Council (Orientation Packet) may provide useful background info. Then, begin discussing, planning, and taking on individual elective tasks to complete the 3 goals or projects shown below. Secure all details, such as event dates and locations, deadlines, costs, commitments from outside agencies, etc. Projects typically require SAC members to individually complete simple or easy, but important tasks outside of your meetings.
1. Host the Community Service Earthwise event in the Fall of 2021.
2. Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com Webpage and Initiate Related Projects, such as continue to update the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video.
3. Host a Youth Leadership Seminar in Spring of 2022. (Page 6)
VI. OLD BUSINESS
VII. MEMBER REPORTS – Student Advisory Council (SAC) Members may individually share info they feel may benefit other SAC members, the community, etc.
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
- Action items – none.
- Informational Items:
1. North Brevard Home School Association Advisor – A parent or other NBHSA designee has not come forward to serve as the NBHSA advisor (role). Discuss and seek person.
2. Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet. (Page 10)
3. Attendance at Meetings – Reminder (your responsibility) please be aware of City Ordinance (local law) and the SAC Scholarship Policy provide the City’s policy on board member and SAC scholarship attendance requirements. This info was provided to each school and SAC Members in the orientation packet (August 2021).
4. Polo Shirt Order Form – For Students that do not have an SAC polo shirt (dark blue with white embroidery), please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
5. Media Waiver Release – New SAC Members: please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
6. City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 7, 2021 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
7. Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 17, 2021, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
Another option - pick-up hardcopy of the SAC meeting agenda from City Hall (Information Desk). A hardcopy of the agenda will also be available at meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month
at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall.
Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
(City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).