- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - April 20, 2021
Student Advisory Council - April 20, 2021
City of Titusville
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
In order to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and to comply with all local, state, and federal laws and guidelines regarding social distancing rules, designated seating shall be provided for the public at Student Advisory Council meetings. Individual speakers shall, when directed to do so, be given the opportunity to speak on agenda items during the meetings in accordance with City of Titusville policies and Resolution No. 36-2020. No tripods, easels, props, or other demonstrative aids shall be brought into public meetings of the Student Advisory Council. Speakers are permitted to have a sign with them during their designated speaking time provided that the sign is held by the speaker and is to be removed at the conclusion of their speaking time. Speakers who appear in person will be subject to screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and any persons exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted to enter City Hall. As an additional method for public participation, the public may submit written comments, via email to Caitlin.Rodriguez@titusville.com or by regular mail to Student Advisory Council’s attention at City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796. Written comments must be received by 1:00 p.m. prior to the start of the meeting and include the senders name, address and the subject line must specify the agenda item being addressed. All comments will be disseminated to the Student Advisory Council members and made a part of the public record prior to any action being taken.
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson C. Phillips (THS)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of March 22, 2021.
V. NEW BUSINESS – None.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
- Update the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – Co-Chairperson C. Phillips will provide the status of the planning of this project.
- FL League of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – Member Pringle to provide an update to the Council regarding the submission of the Florida League of Cities Community Service Contest that was due March 31, 2021.
- Student Leadership Seminar – Gather ideas to host and plan a Student Leadership Seminar in the Spring of 2022. Look at various options including each school hosting their own either in-person or virtual Leadership Seminar. (Representatives from each school were selected at the meeting on 1/16/21: Member Ellis for AHS; Member Hamilton for NBHSA; and Member J. Phillips for THS.)
- 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council Annual Report to City Council – Staff will distribute the final copy of your Annual Report. At this meeting, Co-Chairperson C. Phillips will review everyone’s role and prepare your Council on how to present the Annual Report to City Council on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. (business-casual attire please). The members that are scheduled to present are as follows:
- Introduction: Staff would update the intro letter (template) – J. PHILLIPS
- FL League of Cities Youth Competition – SEVOR
- FL Leave of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – DEIMEKE
- Updating the 2008 The Last Dance Video – PRINGLE
- Plan a virtual Leadership Seminar to be held in the spring of 2022 – HAMILTON
- Conclusion and next year’s goals – C. PHILLIPS
VII. MEMBER REPORTS – Student Advisory Council (SAC) Member individually share info they feel may benefit other SAC members, the community, etc.
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
A. Action items:
- SAC Scholarship Policy – Per the policy, City staff liaison will distribute a personal annual attest statement to each of you, which tells individual SAC Members whether they met or did not meet the scholarship eligibility criteria for the 2020/2021 term (eligible amount is $250 per term). Keep these safe on your home computers, or a 3-ring binder, or desk drawer until your senior year of high school graduation. Per policy, graduating SAC seniors can submit their request for an SAC scholarship by March 1st during the year of their graduation.
B. Informational Items:
1. The Big Night (Wrap-up & Goodbye)! April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. (Reminder): Three (3) important items related to the SAC (your Council) are scheduled on the City Council’s meeting agenda of Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in City Hall Council Chamber (2nd floor). Please feel welcome to invite your family and friends for the big night! Business casual attire is appropriate.
- SAC’s/Your Council’s Annual Report to the City Council
- Scholarships for graduating senior SAC members
- 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council Member Appointments