- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - March 22, 2021
Student Advisory Council - March 22, 2021
Student Advisory Council
March 22, 2021
The 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, March 22, 2021 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida. Co-Chairperson Isaac Gutman called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Taylor Batson, Caleb Phillips and Isaac Gutman, Vice-Chairperson Ben Hamilton, Secretary Savannah Sevor, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Richie Dobbs, Emilee Ellis, Jacob Phillips, and Edie Pringle. Staff Liaison Caitlin Rodriguez was also present. Members Aiden Sperr and Hannah Udo were absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Co-Chairperson Batson moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of February 16, 2021, as submitted. Co-Chairperson C. Phillips seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS – None.
Update the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – The request was for Co-Chairperson C. Phillips to provide a status update of the rough draft of the script for The Last Dance prom video.
Co-Chairperson C. Phillips advised that he was still working on drafting the script for The Last Dance prom video. He stated he was working towards having the script ready for the next Student Advisory Council (2021/2022 term) to begin to look at the draft script and make changes to as they would see fit.
FL League of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – The request was for Member Pringle and Member Deimeke to give an overview of the planning of the community service project they were planning for the spring of 2022.
Member Pringle gave an overview of her ideas and the status of her planning on this particular project. She had her essay and photos ready for submittal for the 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest project.
Staff Liaison Rodriguez advised that she would have the City Manager’s recommendation letter to Member Pringle by that week for her submittal to the Florida League of Cities.
Student Leadership Seminar – The request was for an update for the Student Advisory Council’s assigned members to gather ideas to host and plan a Student Leadership Seminar in the Spring of 2022.
Staff Liaison Rodriguez distributed the planning sheet from the 2017/2018 Youth Leadership Seminar that was requested at the previous meeting on February 16, 2021 for the Student Advisory Council to see the details of the 2017/2018 Youth Leadership Seminar project.
The Student Advisory Council came to a consensus for their main focus/activity for the 2022 Student Leadership Seminar would be the City of Titusville’s growth as well as the eco-system.
The plan was to still host an in-person seminar, but have the ability to move the seminar to a virtual platform, if necessary.
Annual Report to City Council – Student Advisory Council made one change to the Introduction of the report. Member J. Phillips volunteered to present as Co-Chairperson Batson advised she would be unable to attend the Council meeting on April 27, 2021. Co-Chairperson Gutman reminded the Student Advisory Council (SAC) of the due date for the Annual Report submittals was April 1st and what members were scheduled as writers and presenters for sections of the 2020/2021 Annual Report to City Council, as followed:
• Introduction: Staff would update the intro letter (template) – J. PHILLIPS (presenter)
• FL League of Cities Youth Competition – SEVOR (write and present)
• FL Leave of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – PRINGLE (write) and DEIMEKE (presenter)
• Updating the 2008 The Last Dance Video – C. PHILLIPS (writer) and PRINGLE (presenter)
• Plan a virtual Leadership Seminar to be held in the spring of 2022 – ELLIS (writer) and HAMILTON (presenter)
• Conclusion and next year’s goals – C. PHILLIPS (write and present)
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Staff Liaison Rodriguez highlighted the Staff Liaison Report, as followed:
Action items: None.
1. Council Budget: Current available funding for SAC project/account no. GFCC01 $388.00 and project/account no. GFCC04 $1,883.00.
2. Meeting Agendas (Reminder) – The SAC’s monthly meeting agenda would be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each SAC meeting. City liaisons typically had difficulty with one or two email addresses. You may also stop at City Hall and pick-up a hardcopy prior to your meetings. Additionally, City staff posts the items on your Council’s agendas at www.titusville.com, but not the full meeting agenda packet.
3. 2021/2022 SAC Council Member Appointments – By April 1st nominations for high school students that would serve on the 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) were due from the High School Advisors.
4. Scholarship Disbursements – Reminder to the 12th grade senior students that qualified for scholarship disbursement checks. Mayor Diesel would present them at City Council’s April 27, 2021 meeting at 6:30 p.m.
Staff Liaison Rodriguez added an additional informational item that was not included on the agenda. The additional information item was to make the Student Advisory Council aware of a 9th grader who had missed three (3) consecutive meetings which required the Chair to follow the protocols as outlined in the City’s code regarding absences and informing City Council as such.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m.