- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - March 22, 2021
Student Advisory Council - March 22, 2021
City of Titusville
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Monday, March 22, 2021, 4:00 p.m.
(In February 2021, the March 2021 meeting was rescheduled from 3/17 to 3/22/21)
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
In order to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and to comply with all local, state, and federal laws and guidelines regarding social distancing rules, designated seating shall be provided for the public at Student Advisory Council meetings. Individual speakers shall, when directed to do so, be given the opportunity to speak on agenda items during the meetings in accordance with City of Titusville policies and Resolution No. 36-2020. No tripods, easels, props, or other demonstrative aids shall be brought into public meetings of the Student Advisory Council. Speakers are permitted to have a sign with them during their designated speaking time provided that the sign is held by the speaker and is to be removed at the conclusion of their speaking time. Speakers who appear in person will be subject to screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and any persons exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted to enter City Hall. As an additional method for public participation, the public may submit written comments, via email to Caitlin.Rodriguez@titusville.com or by regular mail to Student Advisory Council’s attention at City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796. Written comments must be received by 1:00 p.m. prior to the start of the meeting and include the senders name, address and the subject line must specify the agenda item being addressed. All comments will be disseminated to the Student Advisory Council members and made a part of the public record prior to any action being taken.
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson I. Gutman (NBHSA)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of February 16, 2021.
V. NEW BUSINESS – None.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Update the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – Co-Chairperson C. Phillips will provide the status of the planning of this project.
B. FL League of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – A focus on educating the community to help end littering, improve recycling, and beautify the City of Titusville. Handout project-based learning information packets. Member Deimeke and Member Pringle to spearhead the planning of this event and give an update.
Deadline to submit project to the FL League of Cities: March 31, 2021.
C. Student Leadership Seminar – Gather ideas to host and plan a Student Leadership Seminar in the Spring of 2022. Look at various options including each school hosting their own either in-person or virtual Leadership Seminar. (Representatives from each school were selected at the meeting on 1/16/21: Member Ellis for AHS; Member Hamilton for NBHSA; and Member J. Phillips for THS.)
D. Annual Report to City Council - Below is a list of SAC members scheduled to write and present the Annual Report to City Council on April 27, 2021 (6:30 p.m.). Reports must be e-mailed to City Liaison Caitlin Rodriguez by/before April 1, 2021.
• Introduction: Staff would update the intro letter (template) – BATSON would present (Tentative)
• FL League of Cities Youth Competition – SEVOR (write and present)
• FL Leave of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – PRINGLE (write) and DEIMEKE (present)
• Updating the 2008 The Last Dance Video – C. PHILLIPS (write) and PRINGLE (present)
• Plan a virtual Leadership Seminar to be held in the spring of 2022 – ELLIS (write) and HAMILTON (present)
• Conclusion and next year’s goals – C. PHILLIPS (write and present)
VII. MEMBER REPORTS – Student Advisory Council (SAC) Member individually share info they feel may benefit other SAC members, the community, etc.
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
A. Action items: None.
B. Informational Items:
1. Council Budget – Current available funding for SAC project/account no. GFCC01 $388.00 and project/account no. GFCC04 $1,883.00.
2. Meeting Agendas & Pre-Meeting Delivery Options – The monthly Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting agenda will be emailed to SAC members at least five (5) days prior to meetings; however, City staff sometimes has trouble with emails being undeliverable. For this reason, it is each SAC member’s responsibility to ensure that she or he obtains and reviews the monthly meeting agenda prior to meetings.
3. Student Advisory Council 2021/2022 Appointments – Att. High School Advisors – By/before April 1, 2021 nominations for students that will serve on the 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) are due from your respective high schools. These nominations will be confirmed by Titusville City Council on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
4. Scholarship Disbursements – Reminder: 12th grade senior students that qualify for scholarship disbursement checks, Mayor Diesel will be presenting to you at City Council’s second regular meeting on April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
The City liaison, Ms. Caitlin Rodriguez, can be reached at Ph. 321-567-3686.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at 4PM, from August through April, at Titusville City Hall. Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary. (City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).