- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - February 16, 2021
Student Advisory Council - February 16, 2021
Student Advisory Council
February 16, 2021
The 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, February 16, 2021 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida. Co-Chairperson Caleb Phillips called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Caleb Phillips and Isaac Gutman, Vice-Chairperson Ben Hamilton, Secretary Savannah Sevor, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Richie Dobbs, Emilee Ellis, Jacob Phillips, Edie Pringle, and Aiden Sperr. Staff Liaison Caitlin Rodriguez was also present. Co-Chairperson Taylor Batson and Members Jacob Phillips and Hannah Udo were absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member Sevor moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of January 19, 2021, as submitted. Member Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS – None.
Update the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – The request was for Co-Chairperson C. Phillips to provide a status update of the rough draft of the script for The Last Dance prom video.
C. Phillips advised that he was still working on drafting the script for The Last Dance prom video to have ready for the next Student Advisory Council to make their changes to and carry it forward if they wished to do so.
FL League of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – The request was for Member Pringle and Member Deimeke to give an overview of the planning of the community service project they were planning for the spring of 2022.
Member Pringle gave an overview of her ideas and the status of her planning on this particular project. She stated that she spoke to Mark Conklin from the Rotary Club who was also the President of Keep Brevard Beautiful regarding his willingness to be a special speaker at this event in the future.
Student Leadership Seminar – The request was for an update for the Student Advisory Council’s assigned members to gather ideas to host and plan a Student Leadership Seminar in the Spring of 2022.
Vice-Chair Hamilton stated his desire to see each individual school host their own Student Leadership Seminar, operating under the same schedules and working through the same projects.
Annual Report to City Council – Co-Chairperson C. Phillips led the Student Advisory Council (SAC) in identifying writers and presenters for sections of the 2020/2021 Annual Report to City Council, which was completed, as followed:
• Introduction: Staff would update the intro letter (template) – BATSON would present (Tentative)
• FL League of Cities Youth Competition – SEVOR (write and present)
• FL Leave of Cities 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest – PRINGLE (write) and DEIMEKE (presenter)
• Updating the 2008 The Last Dance Video – C. PHILLIPS (writer) and PRINGLE (presenter)
• Plan a virtual Leadership Seminar to be held in the spring of 2022 – ELLIS (writer) and HAMILTON (presenter)
• Conclusion and next year’s goals – C. PHILLIPS (write and present)
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Staff Liaison Rodriguez highlighted the Staff Liaison Report, as followed:
Action items: The Student Advisory Council’s regular monthly meeting in March 2021 would fall on March 16, 2021 which was also during the public high school’s spring break. After discussion, the Student Advisory Council came to a consensus to move the next Student Advisory Council meeting to Monday, March 22, 2021 at 4PM in the Council Chamber.
Member Ellis moved to reschedule the March 2021 Student Advisory Council meeting to Monday, March 22, 2021 at 4PM in the Council Chamber. Member Pringle seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
1. Council Budget: Current available funding for SAC project/account no. GFCC01 $388.00 and project/account no. GFCC04 $1,883.00.
2. Meeting Agendas (Reminder) – The SAC’s monthly meeting agenda would be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each SAC meeting. City liaisons typically had difficulty with one or two email addresses. You may also stop at City Hall and pick-up a hardcopy prior to your meetings. Additionally, City staff posts the items on your Council’s agendas at www.titusville.com, but not the full meeting agenda packet.
3. 2021/2022 SAC Council Member Appointments – By April 1st NOMINATIONS for high school students that would serve on the 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) were due from the High School Advisors.
4. Scholarship Award Policy – By March 1st SENIOR SAC members must submit an application for the scholarship award to City staff liaison, with prior annual attest statements no later than March 1st of the year of your graduation. This form was provided in your Council’s annual orientation & welcome packet.
For the remainder of the 2020/2021 SAC term, City staff would monitor each senior’s qualification status and provide her or him with an annual attest form at the SAC’s last regular meeting in April. Scholarships would be presented at the City Council meeting on April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.