- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - January 19, 2021
Student Advisory Council - January 19, 2021
Student Advisory Council
January 19, 2021
The 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida. Co-Chairperson Caleb Phillips called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Taylor Batson, Caleb Phillips, and Isaac Gutman, Vice-Chairperson Ben Hamilton, Secretary Savannah Sevor, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Richie Dobbs, Emilee Ellis, Ben Hamilton, Jacob Phillips, Edie Pringle, and Aiden Sperr. Staff Liaison Caitlin Rodriguez was also present. Member Hannah Udo was absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Co-Chairperson Taylor Batson moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of October 20, 2020, as submitted. Member Pringle seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Co-Chairperson C. Phillips requested that each member introduce themselves since this was their first time meeting together in-person this term.
Annual Report to City Council – Co-Chairperson C. Phillips led the Student Advisory Council (SAC) to begin to identify writers and presenters for sections of the 2020/2021 Annual Report to City Council, which was completed, as followed:
• Florida League of Cities Youth Council Photo Competition – SEVOR (Write and Present)
Additional volunteers included Members J. Phillips and Pringle.
It was noted that by April 2021, the SAC must cement 2-4 goals for the 2021/2022 term.
2020/2021 Goals/Recommendations – The request was to discuss or formalize 1-2 goals for the 2020/2021 term, but also adhering to school policies and concerns for students’ health and safety during the pandemic (COVID-19).
The Student Advisory Council came to a consensus to begin mapping out the following projects that would also be recommendations to their successors for the 2021/2022 term.
• 2021 Youth Council Community Service Contest: The idea was to plan an event to educate the community on ending littering, improving recycling, and beautifying the City of Titusville. The intention was to also handout project-based learning information packets. Members Deimeke and Pringle volunteered to champion the planning of this project.
• Update the 2008 The Last Prom video: Complete the planning phase and make a recommendation to the next Student Advisory Council to just film the new video. Co-Chairperson Caleb Philips stated he would gather information and see where this project left off in a previous year.
• Student Leadership Seminar: Gather ideas to host and plan a Student Leadership Seminar in the Spring of 2022. Look at various options including each school hosting their own virtual seminar. Representatives from each school were selected and as follows: Member Ellis – AHS, Member Hamilton – NBHSA, and Member J. Phillips – THS.
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action items: None.
Staff Liaison Rodriguez highlighted the Staff Liaison Report, as followed:
1. Council Budget: Current available funding for SAC project/account no. GFCC01 $388.00 and project/account no. GFCC04 $1,883.00.
2. Meeting Agendas (Reminder) – The SAC’s monthly meeting agenda would be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each SAC meeting. City liaisons typically had difficulty with one or two email addresses. You may also stop at City Hall and pick-up a hardcopy prior to your meetings. Additionally, City staff posts the items on your Council’s agendas at www.titusville.com, but not the full meeting agenda packet.
3. Florida League of Cities Youth Council Photo Competition – The results were included in the agenda packet.
4. 2021/2022 SAC Council Member Appointments – By April 1st NOMINATIONS for high school students that would serve on the 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) were due from the High School Advisors.
5. Scholarship Award Policy – By March 1st SENIOR SAC members must submit an application for the scholarship award to City staff liaisons, with prior annual attest statements no later than March 1st of the year of your graduation. This form was provided in your Council’s annual orientation & welcome packet.
For the remainder of the 2020/2021 SAC term, City staff would monitor each senior’s qualification status and provide her or him with an annual attest form at the SAC’s last regular meeting in April. Scholarships would be presented at the City Council meeting on April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:28 p.m.