- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - January 19, 2021
Student Advisory Council - January 19, 2021
City of Titusville
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
In order to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and to comply with all local, state, and federal laws and guidelines regarding social distancing rules, designated seating shall be provided for the public at Student Advisory Council meetings. Individual speakers shall, when directed to do so, be given the opportunity to speak on agenda items during the meetings in accordance with City of Titusville policies and Resolution No. 36-2020. No tripods, easels, props, or other demonstrative aids shall be brought into public meetings of the Student Advisory Council. Speakers are permitted to have a sign with them during their designated speaking time provided that the sign is held by the speaker and is to be removed at the conclusion of their speaking time. Speakers who appear in person will be subject to screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and any persons exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted to enter City Hall. As an additional method for public participation, the public may submit written comments, via email to Caitlin.Rodriguez@titusville.com or by regular mail to Student Advisory Council’s attention at City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796. Written comments must be received by 1:00 p.m. prior to the start of the meeting and include the senders name, address and the subject line must specify the agenda item being addressed. All comments will be disseminated to the Student Advisory Council members and made a part of the public record prior to any action being taken.
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson C. Phillips (Titusville High School)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of October 20, 2020.
V. NEW BUSINESS
- Annual Report to City Council – Your Council’s governing resolution requires your Council to present an annual report to the City Council each April. The annual report is a summary of your Council’s accomplishments during your term, but which also includes recommendations to your successors. In order to write and organize this report, individual members of your Council, typically in January and February, accept assignments or volunteer to write each of the report’s sections (normally based on 2-4 projects/goals).
To date and with the pandemic presenting your Council with unique challenges, your Council has participated in one project: The 2020 FL League of Cities Youth Council Photo Competition (results provided under VII – Staff Liaison Report). Staff recommends identifying who will write this section.
Further to the above, staff will keep a reminder on your Council’s monthly meeting agenda about the annual report, as your Council works to finds opportunities to work on pending goals/projects, and additional writers are sought.
Additionally, by April 2021, your Council must solidify 2-4 goals for your successors. Refer to your Council’s mission statement.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
- 2020/2021 Goals/Recommendations - Discuss or formalize 1-2 goals for the 2020/2021 term, but which also adhere to school policies and concerns for students’ health and safety during the pandemic (COVID-19). (Tabled on 10/20/2020)
VII. MEMBER REPORTS – Student Advisory Council (SAC) Member individually share info they feel may benefit other SAC members, the community, etc.
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
- Action items: None.
- Informational Items:
- Council Budget – Current available funding for SAC project/account no. GFCC01 $388.00 and project/account no. GFCC04 $1,883.00.
- Meeting Agendas & Pre-Meeting Delivery Options – The monthly Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting agenda will be emailed to SAC members at least five (5) days prior to meetings; however, City staff sometimes has trouble with emails being undeliverable. For this reason, it is each SAC member’s responsibility to ensure that she or he obtains and reviews the monthly meeting agenda prior to meetings.
- 2020 Florida League Youth Council Photo Competition – Attached is an e-mail received from the project coordinator regarding the results of the Photo Competition.
- Student Advisory Council 2021/2022 Appointments – Nominations to serve on the 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) are due from the High School Advisors by/before April 1, 2021. Contact your SAC High School Advisor quickly to ask about any school application requirements or based on if you would like to be considered or re-appointed for the 2021/2022 term.
- Council Scholarship Award Policy – Per policy, Senior members must submit the application for the scholarship award to Caitlin Rodriguez (City staff liaison), with prior annual attest statements for the accrued scholarship award no later than March 1st of the year of their graduation. This form was provided to all members in the annual orientation packet.
Please note: For the remainder of the 2020-2021 SAC term, staff will monitor each senior’s qualification status and provide her or him with an annual attest form at your last regular meeting in April. Scholarships will be presented at the City Council meeting on April 27, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
The City liaison, Ms. Caitlin Rodriguez, can be reached at Ph. 321-567-3686.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at 4PM, from August through April, at Titusville City Hall. Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary. (City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).