The City of Titusville, Florida / NewsFire Danger Situational Briefing
- As of Tuesday, April 11, the Governor issued a State of Emergency (EO-17-120) following the recent wildfires across the state and the high potential for increased wildfires to continue this year.
- The State Emergency Operations Center has gone to a Level 2 Activation in support of the over 100 active wildfires in the state, 23 of them being more than 100 acres.
- Florida wildfires have already burned 250% more acreage in 2017 than this time last year, combined with predicted low rainfall and increased drought conditions; the likelihood of increased wildfires is high.
- On Tuesday, April 11, the Brevard Board of County Commissioners issued a Burn Ban Ordinance restricting the use of fire in Brevard County in order to prevent additional fires from starting.
- 7 other counties have also implemented burn bans: Nassau, Polk, Seminole, Osceola, Glades, Okeechobee, and Hendry.
- The Florida Forest Service’s Fire Danger Index shows Brevard County at an Very High level, the highest possible potential for a fire to start and require suppressive action.
- The National Weather Service shows a rainfall deficit of 3.5 inches over the last month and a half, and expects no significant rainfall in the next three months.
- The National Weather Service predicts “near normal” conditions for the next three months, indicating slight increased rainfall.
- However, this small amount of normal rainfall will hardly impact the dry conditions we have today. Between the predicted low amount of rainfall and the breezy month of April, fire conditions will likely worsen.
- See the picture below for drought conditions as of 4/13/17:
- Anticipate road closures or hazardous driving conditions due to heavy smoke.
- Follow @BrevardEOC, @FFS_Orlando, and @FhpOrlando for the latest information on brushfires and road closures impacting Brevard County.
- To report a cigarette being thrown from a car that could potentially start a fire, call 321-264-5100 and provide the license plate number.