The City of Titusville, Florida / Community Development / Neighborhood Services / Housing / FEDERAL AND STATE GRANTS / PUBLIC RESOURCES / Fair HousingFair Housing
|FAIR HOUSING - IT'S THE LAW!|
YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE WHERE YOU WANT TO LIVE!
It is against the laws of the United States of America, the State of Florida, Brevard County and the City of Titusville for anyone to refuse to rent, sell or make a housing loan to you because of your race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin or disability.
The City's fair housing program is designed to affirmatively further fair housing objectives of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, as amended, and other relevant federal, state, and local fair housing laws.
"Affirmatively further fair housing" means that the City actively works to reduce illegal housing discrimination. The City promotes equal housing opportunity through education and training, monitoring and investigating fair housing complaints utilizing techniques to support fair housing litigation, and conduct research and studies to identify and address fair housing impediments.
FAIR HOUSING: IT'S THE LAW IN THE CITY OF TITUSVILLE!
Federal Fair Housing Act and The Florida Fair Housing Act make it illegal for anyone to refuse to rent, sell or make a housing loan to you because of the following factors:
- Race or Color
- National Origin
- Familial Status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18)
HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE HOUSING DISCRIMINATION?
Based upon the above-listed factors it is against the law to:
- Refuse to rent or sell you housing.
- Tell you housing is unavailable when in fact it is available.
- Show you apartments or homes in certain neighborhoods only.
- Advertise housing to preferred groups of people only.
- Refuse to provide you with information regarding mortgage loans, deny you a mortgage loan, or impose different terms or conditions on a mortgage loan.
- Deny you property insurance.
- Conduct property appraisals in a discriminatory manner.
- Refuse to make certain modifications or accommodations for persons with a mental or physical disability, including person(s) recovering from alcohol and substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS-related illnesses.
- Fail to design and construct housing in an accessible manner.
- Harass, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising or assisting someone else with their fair housing rights.
IF YOU DON'T REPORT DISCRIMINATION, IT CAN'T BE STOPPED!
If you believe your rights have been violated, the Titusville Neighborhood Services Department is ready to help you file a complaint.
You will need to provide the following information in your complaint:
- Your name, address, and phone number where you can be reached.
- Another contacts name, address and phone number if the agency cannot reach you.
- A description of what happened to you.
- A statement telling why you believe you are being discriminated against. (e.g. on the basis of what protected class)
- A statement of who discriminated against you with their name, title and address.
- A statement describing where the alleged discrimination occurred with complete address.
- A statement as to the date the last act of discrimination occurred. Tell if the alleged discrimination in ongoing.
Titusville Nighborhood Services Department will refer your complaint to the appropriate enforcement agencies. Please contact our Fair Housing Coordinator at 321-383-5781.
Titusville and Brevard County Analysis of Impediments Plan
Staff of Brevard County Housing and Human Services Department conducted this Analysis of Impediments (AI) with the assistance of the HOME Consortium, which consists of Brevard County and the Cities of Cocoa, Melbourne, Palm Bay, and Titusville. To view the AI Plan click on the blue highlighted words AI Plan.
Other agency web-sites that can answer your questions about fair housing and how to file a fair housing complaint are:
Fair Housing Continuum, Inc - http://www.fairhousingcontinuum.org/
Florida Commission on Human Relations - http://fchr.state.fl.us/
Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity - http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/index.cfm