The City of Titusville, Florida / Fire & Emergency Services / NewsFebruary is Heart Month
“Make Blood Pressure Control Your Goal”
- This American Heart Month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Million Hearts®–a national effort to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes in the United States by 2017–are encouraging Americans to know their blood pressure, and if it's high, to make control their goal.
Steps for those with High Blood Pressure
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure is a leading cause of heart disease and stroke.
- 67 Million Americans have high blood pressure.
- People with high blood pressure are 4 times more likely to die from a stroke and 3 times more likely to die from heart disease, compared to those with normal blood pressure.
- High blood pressure often shows no signs or symptoms.
- It is of great importance to get your blood pressure checked regularly.You can go to the doctor’s office, drugstore, at home with a home blood pressure monitor and at your local Fire Department.
- Titusville Fire & Emergency Services has Stations located throughout the city.
- Station 10, 617 North Singleton Avenue
- Station 11, 550 South Washington Avenue
- Station 12, 2150 South Park Avenue
- Station 13, 4715 Barna Avenue
- Ask your doctor what your blood pressure should be and what you should do to get it there.
- Take your blood pressure medicine as directed.Blood Pressure medicine should be taken the same time every day.
- Quit Smoking!
- Reduce Sodium Intake.Too much sodium can raise blood pressure.
For more information on Blood Pressure Control, go to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HeartMonth/ or contact Heather Gilmore at email@example.com or 321-567-3800.