The City of Titusville, Florida / Fire & Emergency Services / NewsSummer Heat Safety!
Summer is finally here! What better ways to enjoy the sun and warm weather than with a dip in the pool, a baseball game, or neighborhood BBQ! And while summer is a great time to sit back and enjoy the weather, heat hazards can turn a picnic into panic.
|BEAT THE HEAT!
Heat can be harmful because it pushes the human body beyond its limits. In extreme heat and high humidity, evaporation is slowed and the body must work extra hard to maintain a normal temperature. It’s important to always be prepared, so that the only heat you're feeling is off the grill!
According to Ready.gov, here are a few simple things you can do inside and outside of your home to beat the heat:
Local weather forecasts are a great way to stay aware of upcoming temperature changes. Learn how to get tuned into local alerts and warnings. For more information on keeping it cool this summer, visit the National Weather Service’s Beat the Heat website and check out these videos from Heat Awareness Day!
- Build an emergency supply kit;
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation;
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes or awnings;
- Never leave children or pets, older adults or disabled persons alone in closed vehicles; even for a minute, because it could be deadly; and
- Drink plenty of water, even if you aren't feeling thirsty.
Information provided by FEMA. Website links are: http://nws.noaa.gov and http://FEMA.gov
For further information on this or other related safety topics, contact Life Safety Specialist Heather Gilmore, Titusville Fire and Emergency Services 383-5708 or email@example.com